OK, here’s a (very) simplified summary of what I’ve learned about global warming after digging deep the past few weeks.
- Global warming is a major threat to life as we know it. It’s ALOT worse than most people realize.
- Global warming is caused (mostly) by increasing CO2 in the atmosphere.
- The CO2 increase comes (mostly) from us burning oil & coal (“fossil fuels”). Adds about 20-30 billion tons of CO2 per year.
- So we need to (mostly) stop burning oil & coal.
- We burn oil & coal (mostly) for electricity and transport. Coal power plants, car/plane/ship fuel, etc.
- We want to keep electricity and transport, but we also want to stop global warming, therefore we need to get electricity and transport without burning oil & coal.
- We know how to do that (solar, wind, electric cars, etc). The technology has been figured out, and the prices are at the tipping point where oil & coal can’t compete economically.
- So now we just need to hurry up and roll out those solutions! Every single reduced ton of CO2 counts.
- Unfortunately shit is going to hit the fan either way (because it’s already launched so to speak), but at least we can slow it down, reduce the impact, and buy us some time.
So pull whatever strings you can to help out – technology, policy, economy, communication, etc. Inform yourselves & each other. People have varying degrees of discretionary time, money, knowledge, voting power, contacts, influence, and motivation. But the more people try to help in one way or another, the more difference it will make as a whole.