Timing: 10-15 mins
- 20 Pennies (any kind)
- 4 departments (1 worker per dep. sitting at table)
- 4 dep. managers with stopwatch
- 1 CEO (with stopwatch)
Game has three turns – each with different batch size [20, 5 and 1].
Workers job is to flip the pennies he receives as fast as he can and then pass them on to next. Department managers job is to take time his worker spends from the first to the last coin flipped. CEO takes total time from the first coin to the last.
For fun, let managers have a "one-on-one" chat with his worker after each round.
Display results on a flipchart:
||20 coin batch||5 coin batch||1 coin batch|
- When batchsize decreases, total cycle time decreases
- As total time decreases, worker time increases!
- People idle more when batch size is high
CREDIT: Agile Coachcamp members