- Hand out the epics (we typically have 2-3 per week)
- Assign one senior and one junior for each epic
- Forming a group per epic by letting rest of team choose from interest, but allow no larger than four members in per group
- Let each epic team do breakdown and size estimation
- Swap epic between the teams and review (we typically let one person stay and explain)
This has worked out really well. The energy and intensity of the discussions was raised significally. So far we have managed to keep our 45 time window almost every time. .A bonus is that the review almost every time have results in an changed task or a reestimation. Thereby showing the value of a second opinion with an outside angle.